Vice President of Membership & Business Development and Director of Engagement
The Morris County Chamber of Commerce (“Chamber”) seeks a qualified candidate to fill the role of the Vice President of Membership & Business Development who will also serve as the Director of Engagement (“VPM”). This is a frontline position part of the senior leadership team at the Chamber and is responsible for membership sales, retention and overall member experience. This position is also responsible for the creation, development and oversight/supervision of a sales team responsible for the growth of the Chamber throughout the north central New Jersey region. The position will report directly to the President of the Chamber and work closely with the CFO and Directors.
The minimal position expectations include:
1) In charge of the management and fulfillment of annual new membership sales and existing member retention targets, which includes outreach to new and prospective members explaining the benefits of membership. Present the membership budget to the Board and planning for the following year’s goals. Driving force to continually improve member satisfaction and engagement at the Chamber.
2) Devise and execute an effective on-boarding process that includes explaining the benefits of membership and consulting with members one-to-one and/or in small groups. Inspire and guide volunteer leaders including committee chairs and ambassadors. Take initiative and active role in discovering opportunities for collaboration and coordination that would benefit the Chamber members.
3) Ensure prospects are entered into customer relation management (CRM) database and work closely with staff responsible for overall member relations management to create an organizational culture adept at CRM usage and analysis.
4) Participate in the evaluation of membership prices and benefits including affinity programs and review programming including general events and educational seminars with colleagues. Prepare annual budget relating to the functions of the Membership department and present to the Chamber Board of Directors. Work closely with the Director of Marketing to assist with market research including surveys and exit interviews.
5) Participate in and present at regular Board of Directors’ meetings held every other month and any required Board subcommittee meetings, Chamber committees, staff training and staff meetings. Also attend morning and evening functions, as appropriate, and festivals or trade shows within the northern New Jersey region that are pertinent to the promotion of the Chamber that may lead to sales of memberships and sponsorships.
6) Lead sales of sponsorships, which do not apply to membership totals but support the programming of the Chamber. Provide input on the production of marketing material including fliers, ads, journals, trade show material, material for website, directory, newsletter and similar material.
The successful candidate will be personable and be knowledgeable about every aspect of the Chamber’s offerings. The VPM will be expected to interact with key executives at prospective and existing member companies and engage several representatives from each company to participate in Chamber programming. The position requires managing, motivating and supervising subordinate staff. As part of the leadership team, the VPM will work collaboratively with the President, CFO and Vice President of Economic Development. The VPM will also work closely with the Director of Programming and Director of Marketing & Communications.
Business attire must be worn on all appointments. The successful candidate will conduct herself/himself in a polite, professional and ethical manner at all times. Misrepresentations, extreme pressure, disrespect to members, prospects, or staff, or misuse of the CRM may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
Education requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Sales, or similar field.
Experience: At least five years of progressively more responsible experience in the marketing and/or sales field and experience working successfully as part of team. Proven track record leading successful sales team. Excellent negotiation skills and proven record of successfully pitching new business. Proven track record of increasing revenue through the generation of new business leads. Competency in effective use of CRM systems. Expertise in the use of sales metrics in managing pipeline, activity, closing ratios, and other successful sales team behaviors. Competency in Microsoft Office software.
This position is salaried, full time and not an independent contractor, however bonus(es) may be awarded at the discretion of the Board. Mileage, cell phone (fixed amount) and any entertainment expenses will be reimbursed based on approval of the President. The successful candidate agrees to carry automobile insurance on his/her personal vehicle.
The ideal candidate/person-profile will likely score well, and have demonstrable evidence of success, in these areas: self-responsibility, high ambition and drive, positive outlook, high self-awareness, goal setting, managing organizational change, supervising/management and effective coaching, accountability, and collaboration.
Salary Structure - $90-$110K annual salary depending on level of experience. Benefits package offered is generous and there is bonus potential for meeting/exceeding targets.
To apply send resume and cover letter demonstrating how you fit the profile above to email@example.com At least two listed references are required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status. All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. Must be able to lift 35 lbs.
Start date: As soon as possible
Closing date for all candidates is February 1, 2019.
What is anticipated in the first 30/60/90-days:
30 Days - Demonstrate understanding of Chambers’ value and selling propositions. Identify Chamber’s sales strengths and weaknesses and make recommendations to the President and Board to augment sales team, if needed, including establishment of a volunteer sales committee. Demonstrate understanding of Chamber’s database system and member demographics and business profiles. Provide insight into marketing’s proposed new sponsorship model to provide alternative revenue sources to memberships.
60 Days - Develop, in consultation with the President, criteria and compensation structure for new sales team, if new hires are recommended, and propose method for recovery of additional costs incurred. Develop strategies for retention and renewal of current members, especially disengaged members. Have sold a minimum of ten new accounts or equivalent to meet sales target established by Board.
90 Days - Develop plan to identify and expand membership sales goals regarding targeted industry sectors, businesses by size (revenue and employees), and other new categories of prospects. Develop, with leadership team, strategies to retain top 50 to 100 accounts.
Closing date for all candidates is February 1, 2019.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter demonstrating how you fit the position profile and at least two references to Meghan Hunscher, President.
Mission: “The Morris County Chamber of Commerce collaboratively advances the interests of its members to champion a thriving business and community environment.”
Vision: “Creating member experiences that foster exceptional business success and quality of life.”
Morris County Chamber of Commerce
325 Columbia Turnpike,
Florham Park, NJ 07932